Thursday, May 9, 2013

Diary of a Ring Repair: 1

I used this client's ring to show you the process of refurbishing all of the claws holding the stones into this very old and sentimental ring. In some cases it would be better to remake the ring. In this case, the client had a lot of sentimental attachment to the ring, and therefore preferred that I keep the original ring and rebuild the top section. The shank is worn thing, and needs to be replaced. the claws are also very worn on the sides from rubbing up against a band for many years. 


This is how the ring looks after I have removed the stones which were still in the setting. One had fallen out already.

Step 1: cut the existing prongs (what's left of them) down to prepare them for the new ones which I am about to make. 


Now the claws (or prongs) are cut down to where they are a little thicker, giving me some metal to adhere the new claws to.


Step 2: After pulling down platinum wire to the desired gauge  I cut new claws for the ring. The original claws were made of white gold, but in this case I am going the extra mile and making new ones out of platinum. Platinum is more expensive material, but it is very durable.


Step 3: Solder the new claws and rectangular plates onto the existing "stubs".


Starting to look a little chaotic.


Step 4: I have now set the center stone, in this case a blue sapphire. 


Step 5:  Set the side diamonds.


Step 6: Clean up the claws and prepare the ring for polishing.


Although
 the ring is still worn and thin, the stones are now safe re-set. next will be the process of rebuilding the shank to give the ring some more substance while maintaining it's dainty feel. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask any questions. I will try my best to give you the most complete answers that I can.