Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Developing a large skull ring

I am currently developing a huge skull ring for a client in Australia who found me via my website. I am happy to be creating something for someone who has put his trust and money into me from half way round the world. 

This is the first installment of the production. I decided a bit too late to start taking pictures, so the description starts where the actual skull is near completion. The process starts of with a solid piece of wax tube with a hole in it which I carve to the right size of the client's finger. In this case it is a large one- size 12! In this set of photos you can see the skull taking shape, and the horns are one. I am now starting to decoratively carve the shank with a feather motif.

Stage two of the process will be to carve the feathers helmet which will sit on the skull. I want to create the skull to the correct shape and dimensions before fitting the helmet. I also want the skull to be perfectly cleaned up and polished before fitting the helmet. I don't want it to be a one  piece carving, for accuracy and cleanliness. 

Skull taking shape \
Front on skull
Skull ring front
Skull ring finger
Skull ring finger 
Carving skull ring shank 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to ask any questions. I will try my best to give you the most complete answers that I can.